Friday, May 31, 2013

New Garden Week 6

My, how things change!
The garden last week...
The garden has grown, greatly.  A few of the plants that have not grown have been replaced with new seeds and we're back in the business of growing food for the family!
...and the garden this week!
The first harvest of 2013 is this weekend!  That lone Romaine seed I planted has survived a full 15 weeks and will be cut, washed and eaten (was mature a month ago at 68 days).  Somehow my math was wrong, but the plants are fine and ready to harvest.  In another week I'll have a couple Romaine plants to harvest, and at some point next month I will have 4 plants ready to harvest.  There will be a 3 week break then between harvests, but I hope that will be the last long break of this year.
Swiss Chard is also growing along with Spinach and Kale.  I'll harvest a few leaves from these weekly when they are ready.
Kale, Swiss Chard, Romaine & Spinach
Oregano will be replanted soon along with Basil.  Both were lost to the yard flooding.
I did see some leaf miners in a weed growing in the soil.  I'll have to watch for them because they move quickly.
The Florida summer heat is on, with highs in the mid-90's and humidity in the upper 80's to low 90's.  It has rained a bit the past few days but none of the frog-strangling-flood-stage-rainfalls like we had last month.
Happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment