Friday, May 3, 2013

New Garden Week 2


It is now week #2 for my new square garden and the plants are doing well.  There have been no signs of leaf miners or of white flies, both have been problems in the past.  The grubs also seem to be completely gone.
I planted 4 more Romaine lettuce seeds and 2 Kale seeds today.  The Romaine plants are planted in the top (North) edge of the garden, 2 per side.  2 Kale seeds have been planted just below the Spinach plants.  I thinned out the Romaine plants from 2 weeks ago and pulled the larger weeds.  The weeds are easy to spot and pull from the soft soil.  I will add more soil to the top of the garden in an effort to level it to prevent pooling from rain storms.
I'm also changing how I photograph the garden and will consistently use a North orientation for the photos instead of shooting from the West side like I have in the past.  That should simplify the garden layout for all of us.  Annotating the photos, like above (in too small print), will improve the look and feel of the blog, and hopefully improve communication between us.  I hope to find free software with larger sized fonts than what I currently have available to me.
Due to a change in my work schedule, I will be posting here twice monthly instead of weekly.  If that is an issue for you, please let me know in the comments.  Thank you for reading.
Happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment