Saturday, February 23, 2013

Weeks one and two

Square Foot Garden ready to be moved outside
So far I have planted seeds for the second week in my nursery and plan for the garden to be placed in the yard this weekend.   I'll use cinder blocks to support the garden frame and will purchase the chicken wire and support frames next week.
The nursery is my wife's name for the used metal shelf that I pulled from the trash and re-purposed to hold sprays, trays and tools on the pool deck.  It makes keeping my gardening tools together easy and gives me a surface to plant and mix on without messing up the pool deck dinner table.
The nursery
The one rule I am keeping for my garden is that everything must be organic.  This year is my first for having all organic seeds.  Any fertilizers or bug sprays used are already organic.  The soil mix is all organic and has been since I started in 2010.  Organic seeds are now more readily available, with several heirloom varieties.  Online, the amount of organic seed types for vegetables, flowers and herbs is enormous.  We'll talk more about about organic seeds in another post.
Happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment